Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Lordy, lordy look who's.....

You know how the title ends....40. And the answer is, yours truly. Well, almost. In less than 48 hours I will bid farewell to my 30's and enter my 4th decade on this earth. I'm not afraid of this birthday. I'm not depressed or anxious, or resistant....at least that is what I keep telling myself!

I plan to celebrate the heck out of this milestone. For the next 365 days is it my birthday. One big, year-long celebration. A few months ago my sister asked me what I was going to "do" for my 40th. Hmmmmmm.....avoid it. Worry. Pester my self for being 40 and not being married with kids. Look fondly in the rear view mirror and remember the good days. A very tiny voice in my head said....you don't have to do that, and if you did what good would it do?

Ah. And with that I let myself off the hook. Which felt good, because we were not designed for the hook. I'm just going to have fun with this birthday.

And the really good news is,I've got plenty of sick time banked that I can use when I need hip and knee replacement surgery :-) Perhaps I'll learn Braille while recovering from the surgery so I'll still be able to read when my eyesight goes. Maybe a subscription to Prevention magazine. The possibilities are endless.

40, ready or not here I come.

4 comments:

  1. Marti- I hope you have an amazing birthday tomorrow and I'm glad that you have such a positive outlook on it. I think you should do something really fun and something different that you don't normally get to do. :-) 40 isn't really old. You still have a lot of time to enjoy life. I think you were the one that told me you enjoyed your 30s more than your 20s because life smoothed out some. It will be interesting to see what you think about 40 compared to 30. Happy Birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh. Heh. You remember my big 3-0, don't you, Jenny? :-)

    Also, what were we doing a year ago? hmmmmmmmmmmmm?

    ReplyDelete
  3. GOOD POST!
    Since I'm at the other end of the 40's decade, I can confidently say that I prefer it to all previous decades.
    I hope your year long birthday celebration includes something that is very satisfying.
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

    ReplyDelete