Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Entertainment, Branson Style.


The "show" is the heartbeat of Branson Entertainment. Most revolve around singing, some involve dance, comedy, magic, martial arts, acrobatics, etc. We saw this family today. There are a lot of "family" groups in Branson. They have a certain similarity to them.

They range in numbers anywhere from a handful to a small village. One group we saw a couple years ago was a Mormon family. Five brothers, all singers, all married, all with many children. By the end of the show there was at least 50 people on the stage.

The whole family works the show. They work hard and are extremely talented. Like them or don't like them you can't argue with their talent. They work every aspect of the production. Ticket sales, and ushering and clean up. Some have hotels and diners and clean rooms and serve food. The "stars" aren't pampered or untouchable. There are 100 others shows in town just like them and they can't afford to be unapproachable or to rest on their accomplishments. I'm not sure they work any harder than average folks with 9-5 jobs but I think of the lack of talent and mind numbing "success" in these ladies:


...compared to the talent I've seen in Branson.





































The entire family is worked into the show. They all seem to be able to sing and play 30 instruments, no matter how large the family. I've often wondered as I watch a show what happened if one of the kids doesn't want to pursue the music/entertainment industry. I imagine the conversation would go something like this:

Child: Mom, Dad, there is something I want to discuss with you. I've been thinking about it for a while.

Mom/Dad: Yes, what is it?

Child: I know I come from a family of entertainers. And I know music has provided us with many opportunities, but I've decided it isn't for me. Instead I want to go to school and become a Doctor.

(Awkward silence)

Mom/Dad: (pausing to regain composure, conjure up support) Why? Didn't we raise you to be better than that? We always told you to find your own path, and make your own choices but what we meant was you could choose the french horn over the fiddle. A Doctor? (Dad looks to Mom) But what will we tell our friends?



There is also ALWAYS a tribute to the armed forces. It isn't optional. Every show works a military tribute into the line up. The most awkward one I saw was a show featuring a family of Native Americans. The main singer was full blood Native American and was adopted as an infant and didn't find out until he was an adult (after both parents died) that he was Native American. He reconnected with his birth family now tours with his daughter and several members of his tribe, performing Native American music and dance.
If ANYONE should get a pass from the military tribute it should be a group of Native Americans! With as lousy as our military and government has treated Native Americans I would think their tribute would consist of a defiant fist, with perhaps one raised finger......but they came up with a tribute. It mostly consisted of reporting on military involvement on the part of Native Americans in recent wars. (The Navajo Wind Talkers in WW2)




While waiting in line today to get tickets there was a member of the Brett family's road crew. His back was to me and I could see the cities in the "2011 Brett Family Tour". I scanned the list and saw.....New Castle, Wyoming. I have family in New Castle (hey Kristin!) and while it has been a while since I've been to New Castle, I remember it being quite small. I've never seen it listed in a tour schedule. We asked him about being in New Castle. He right away responded excitedly with, "Oh yeah, New Castle! It was this little place out in the middle of no where. No cell phone reception but man did they have good omelets. Wonderful omelets with steak in them. I want to go back to New Castle just to get another omelet." Well now... Of all the things I thought he'd talk about, omelets would have been way down on the list.

What say you, Kristin? Is there a restaurant in New Castle with really great omelets?

No comments:

Post a Comment