Thursday, June 26, 2014

And then there was wind....

I wanted to just do a normal, low drama ride.  Ten miles or so without getting lost or running into a gigantic dog.  I accomplished it for the most part.  Went to a road I knew and just went straight.  One thing I discovered was that the only time you encounter a car on an abandoned country road is when you come to a stop sign.  There can be no cars for miles, but pull up to a stop sign and suddenly there are three or four.

The first part of the ride seemed nice and low key. I enjoyed the gentle breeze.  Rode past a patch of pine trees and loved instant smell of pine.  Then I turned around to head home and realized the gentle breeze was no longer at my back.  I was riding into it.  I know that for most folks who have ridden a bike in the last 30 years, this comes as no shock.  Not me.  I'm new and learning each day.  Apparently wind is a factor

At one point on the ride I saw a bug coming towards me.  Keep in mind that I ride at such a blistering pace that I can hardly avoid bugs every so often. Kind of like windshield on a car, that is how fast I pedal.  (Note the sarcasm)  So I see this bug and since it isn't heading toward my face or mouth I ignore it. It runs straight into my arm and I felt it hit and bounce off, but didn't think anything of it.  I'm still not sure what it was, but now my arm looks like this:






Strange.  It kind of looks like teeth marks from a human bite.  (Well, a human with no upper teeth).  Perhaps Luis Suarez was out on the road and I was going too fast too notice ;-)

11 miles tonight.

Please join my journey by following my blog, and please consider donating for cancer research.  All money raised goes to benefit cancer research.

http://dc14.ridetovictory.org/site/TR/Events/2014WashingtonDC?px=1214699&pg=personal&fr_id=1070

No comments:

Post a Comment