Friday, April 16, 2010

Kindred spirits.



I got groceries on my lunch hour today. As I was loading them in my car I could hear a car pull up behind me and a woman's voice hollering out of the car. Honest to God here is what she said, "Hey! I'll bet you're really going to miss your car when the time comes that you have to get rid of it, aren't you? They just don't make they like this any more, do they?" Keep in mind, I drive a 1986 beige Ford Taurus STATION WAGON. I turned around to see who was speaking to me and there is a very happy, pleasant woman sitting in a white Ford Taurus station wagon. She was completely serious and very much convinced that the cars we owned were the very best. My first thought was, "Yeah, like you miss lice when they are gone" but I quickly tried to suck that thought back in.

While I don't LOVE my car the way my new friend does, I do love the fact that it A) runs B) is paid for C) costs almost nothing to insure or get plates for and D) is fairly reliable. I hate spending money on transportation. My car gets me to the places I want to go to spend money. :-) Cars always comes with repairs also. You can either have a car payment and repair bills or own your car out right and have repair bills. Also, I enjoy taking my car in to get fixed because the place I take it, Global Auto, is the best. I've taken my cars there for over 10 years and wouldn't go anywhere else. When I head to Indy and my car starts making a funny noise I always pray that it makes it back to Warsaw because I don't want any other mechanic touching it. Maybe my 1986 wagon goes in the shop more often than a newer car, but that would mean less chances to catch up a bit with Sharon, the owner, and that would be a bummer.

The very happy person in the car had one more parting comment. She finished by yelling out the window, "and I love all the stickers! I do that also!!!!!!" And she drove away. While not quite as fully decorated as the back of mine, her station wagon's trunk was sticker laden also.

So there you go. Perhaps the happiest station wagon owner in the world, and I had the pleasure of running into her today!

4 comments:

  1. Plus, when two gals pull up behind you at a stoplight on the way to church, they totally know it's you and can wave and say hi.

    Anything that give you an excuse to hang out with Sharon more is a thing worth having.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had two station wagons in my life, one of which I owned, briefly, and I loved them, even when they would (more than occasionally) leave me stranded. Trunk space was a wonderful thing back when I was lugging around bass and amps to practices and gigs.

    Love the folks at Global , too, even if I don't take my cars there to be repaired anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Good think I checked your blog, I almost missed a greatly needed Monday pick-me-up.
    Your next vehicle should be Jeep Cherokee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy--Yep....you never wonder if it is me or not in that car. That was funny last Sunday. In my head I was processing the whole thing so s-l-o-w-l-y. One piece at a time. First I thought...wow that person in that car is really excited about spotting someone she knows. Second thought.....oh! it is me! Third thought....oh! It is Amy. Finally...Oh! there is Tamie.

    Andy--You're right about the trunk space. I can stuff and stuff and stuff and still have room. I love garage sales and it is a great car to take out to garage sales.

    Sharon-- Glad you got your Monday pick-me-up.
    :-) I don't care what my next vehicle is, as long as it is from this century!

    ReplyDelete