Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Fuzzy Math...

This weekend while eating dinner with my nephew (8) and niece (6) I got to participate in this gem of a conversation. Katlyn got confused and started rattling off a string of numbers. "2 plus 2 and add another 2 is 4" she proudly announced. Colby was quick to correct her and feeling superior began questioning her on math that was way beyond her little 6 year old comprehension. "What is 10 plus 10?" She answered "15". He chuckled. "What is 30 plus 10" he continued. She answered, "I don't even know the answer to that!"

I could see where this was headed so I tried to help her out. I prompted her to ask him something about Barbie. Right away she triumphantly fired off a question. "What year was it when the first Barbie came out?" I was impressed how quickly she could think on her feet. Colby, predictably, was stumped and said "I don't know, what year was it?" We both waited for her answer. She looked right back and again said, "I don't even know the answer to that!"

Sigh. Poor sweet, little Kate. She didn't quite get where I was going!! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment