Sunday, June 17, 2012

A very special Father's Day.

I called my dad to wish him a happy Father's Day today and this is how the conversation went.

 Ring. Ring. Ring. Ring.

 Dad: Hello?

 Me: Happy Father's Day! What have you done today?

 Dad: Your mom and I went to Famous Dave's for lunch, and then dropped the van off to have some work done on it and now we're on the way home.

 chit chat.

chit chat.

chit chat.

 Dad: We had an awful lot of rain yesterday, I think your mom told you that right?

Me: Yeah, she told me. We really need some here. Too bad it didn't make it as far as here.

 Dad: Yeah, that is what Marti has been saying. Indiana is really dry.

Me: I am Marti. Do you mean Jami?

 Dad: (pause) Who am I talking to? Oh, this is Marti?

Mom: (overheard in background) That's not Jami?

 Me: Yes, this is Marti. The older one. The one who lives in Warsaw.  Dad, you have caller ID to prevent this kind of thing!

 awkward conversation fumbling.

 more chit chat.

Me: (joking now) Well, nice to talk with you. Can you give the phone to Dad so I can talk to him also?

 Dad: (handing the phone to mom) Here's your Dad.

One of our more poignant conversations!

No comments:

Post a Comment