Friday, February 26, 2010

Well....we're gonna have to kill sumpthin.

I'm in Arkansas for Jenny's wedding. Today was rehearsal. Tomorrow is the big event.

I love watching and observing when people do life differently than me. It never seems to fail to startle me when I observe and realize there are people out there who think differently. Until it stares me in the face I just think...doesn't everyone think like this?

After a couple rounds of practicing what we'll be doing tomorrow we were standing around thinking through some of the details and the guest book was one of the things that needed someone assigned to it. Someone was given the task of getting some pens to put on the table. The someone was a male. It was jokingly thrown out that the pens needed to be fancy with something like feathers or fluff attached to it. Even though I knew they were joking, my mind immediately and instantly started clicking through what the options were to get feathers. Jo-Anns, Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Wal-mart craft section.

While my mind was looking for options one of the guys in the group (and this is a family of hunters, and fishers and outdoorsman) said, "well....I guess were gonna have to kill sumpthin with feathers on it". Yep, the rest agreed. Then another voice offered the fact that he had seen a wild turkey dead on the side of the road recently.

Inside I just laughed. It was as instinctual for these hunters to hear "feathers" and think of a bird, as for this crafter to hear "feathers" and think of a craft store.

3 comments:

  1. Or for an art major to hear "feathers" and think "Ahhhh! Tacky! Tie a ribbon on the pen and be done with it!"

    Or maybe there's a non-tacky way to do feathers. ???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or the calligrapher thinking, "yes, but why do they always leave the vanes on? You just want the smooth material for the nib; the flight surfaces just get in the way and make the pen wobble while you're trying to use it."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Josh read this one with me and he started laughing... :-)

    ReplyDelete