Sunday, March 28, 2010

Blogging about blogging.

I'm still new to blogging and the more I figure it out the more I enjoy it. It is a calm, straight forward way to get an interesting glimpse into people. I love reading what people take the time (and are willing) to share. I'm enjoying blogs so much that I clicked on the option above my blog that says "next blog". I'm not entirely sure what the reasoning is behind that option, but when you click it, it takes you to someone else's blog. I do not enjoy random stanger blogs as much as I enjoy my friends blogs, but I still like seeing what others do with their blogs.

One thing strikes me as interesting though. I run across a lot of blogs that are very, very similar. So similar that I find myself nick naming and categorizing them. Here's a few:

The, Do you know my friend Jesus? blog. This one is usually a person from somewhere in the Biblebelt. Sometimes for the purpose of using their blog to evangelize. Sometimes just to talk about their walk with Christ. They all love their church and churchlike activities.

The, My children are my trophies, blog. This one has every square inch covered in unbeleiveably expensive looking professional photographs of their children and/or family. Sometimes the family pet gets in the action. I love children. Not having any official ones of my own hasn't stopped me from attaching myself to my sister's kids. Ask me about them and I could go on and on forever. I get the idea of loving a little person so much it hurts, but these blogs go beyond just normal love for one's kids. These people worship their kids.

The, My eternal children are my trophies, blog. Same as above, but the author is Mormon. The blog goes on in the same manner that others do, but here and there will be slipped in the phrase "my eternal family". There is also a weddig pic somewhere on the side with the beaming couple posed in front of the temple in Salt Lake City.

The, I'm on a journey, blog. This one is people who've set up a blog to chronicle a specific set of events. Travel, preparing for a wedding, traning for a marathon. I love these. Biographies are my favorite types of books to read. Blogs can become little mini biographies to read. One of the most interesting I read was a family who adopted a newborn and was approaching the one year mark where the mother can no longer change her mind and the baby was going to be officially theirs. I saw the last few posts that were counting down the hours until they could relax their tightly wound hearts. They even found out that due to daylight savings time, they had one extra hour to wait then they originally planned on. I've often wondered how in the world adoptive parents can dare to bond with a child knowing that the birth mom has a year to change her mind. It also made me wonder what the birth mom was thinking and feeling. What her blog would have contained if she chose to blog about her approach to the "no going back" mark?

The, knitter, crafter, artist, scrapbooker, blog. When I stumble on these I'm in heaven. All sorts of examples of people driven by the need to create. Good, bad, or somewhere in between I love to see what others come up with.

The, I'm naming my blog something other than what it is about blog. These usually have a name like "the extreme adventures my very unsual and unique life". When you read the blog it turns out that the person is a middle class white person in the mid west, who has a 9-5 job and likes to eat at Dairy Queen and take my dog for walks. Nothing wrong with that, but an opposite lifestyle then what they named their blog.

The, I'll be right back post. This isn't a blog, per se, but I see a lot of blogs where the last post goes something like this "Hi! I've been soooooooo busy lately!!!! This is just a quick post to say I've been busy and I'll get back to regular posting soon!" The date on the be right back post is usually 1-3 months ago.

My very favorite blog is one where the person doing the blogging simply gives a little glimpse into their thoughts and how they do "life" and what makes them tick. People are interesting.

1 comment:

  1. I think I've done all of those (except the third, not being Mormon) on my blog. So who knows what category I fit into!

    ReplyDelete