Sunday, March 14, 2010

The vacation that would not end.

Everyone has one of these stories. The one where your family is gathered together for some occasion (usually a holiday) and one person gets the flu and then everyone else in the group is just a sitting duck waiting for their turn. Now I have one of those stories.

Wednesday night we finished up our vacation. We went to a favorite restaurant called Pepper Jax, crossed the last thing off our to do in Omaha list, and headed home. We packed, planned, set alarms, tucked the kids in, decided when to leave and headed to bed. Vacation over. Had a great time, see you soon.


Nope.

At about 12:30 it hit me. At about 1:00 it hit Jami. For a while I thought mine was related to low blood sugar. She thought that last piece of cake wasn't settling well in her stomach, but neither realized the other was having a rough night. I'll spare you the details, but at 3:30 I knew it wasn't low blood sugar, and thought it was the flu. We were supposed to leave in about 2 hours. I woke up Jami to tell her there was no way I could travel in 2 hours and she told me she had had the same evening. At that point I was sure it was food poisoning. It hit us both at the same time, and it was really the only place we'd been that day.

We were both too wasted to travel on Thursday and set our sites on Friday. I slept pretty much non stop on Thursday. Friday morning came, and I woke up and went right back to bed until about noon. We toyed with the idea of leaving Friday afternoon and going part way, getting a motel and finishing up on Saturday. I was willing, but with the idea that I could maybe be a passenger, but probably not a driver. We decided just to try again Saturday morning. Good thing, because next was Colby's turn. I had to adjust to the idea that maybe it wasn't as exotic as food poisoning, maybe it was just your garden variety flu bug.

Saturday morning, bright and early we pulled out of Omaha, but not before Dad fell victim at about 4:00 AM. As of this post, Mom and Kate missed the fun.

So, this was a two part vacation. The non-sick part, and the sick part. We rolled into Warsaw around supper time on Saturday, two days overdue. Jami got the kids out long enough to have supper and get the wiggles out and then they got back in and headed to Indy. As terrible as it was at times, we are all thankful that we were never on the road when anyone was sick. If it hit a few hours later we'd have had to pull over and use road side assistance. I wonder if "every driver in the car has the flu and is 10 hours from home" is covered under my plan? Probably not.

No comments:

Post a Comment