Sunday, May 16, 2010

I already know I like it.

Today was one of those days that work out exactly how you hope, without a lot of effort. Just easy, fun, rich, full. My niece Kate took gymnastics lesson a year or so ago. She loves the pretty girls with glitter in their hair doing the flips and tumbles at the Olympics. The Chinese Acrobats were at the Honeywell Center in Wabash and Jami and I both knew Kate would love them.

I found out about them almost by accident--just a couple weeks before today. When I checked out the tickets there were still three great seats dead center, and the perfect distance from the stage. Our schedule's both were free. Today the weather was perfect. Everyone was in a good mood. It was fun.

The acrobats were incredible. I couldn't even do it justice to try and explain what they did. They were between the ages of 10 and 18 and effortlessly twisted and flipped and balanced and bounced around the stage for 2 hours. Within 2 minutes of the act Kate whispered to me, "I already know I like it". Jami and I knew she'd love it--and she did.

Quality Kate times involves at least 3 points of contact physically. She sat on my lap and squirmed and wiggled and fidgeted her way through the program. I was worn out by the end, but that is what it means to love Kate.

The routine for the show was for the group to comes out and do something that is mildly amazing. And then it builds. And builds. And builds. By the end of the segment your jaw is on the floor while trying to figure out how what you are seeing is physically possible. One stunt involved a girl balancing on what looked like a skateboard, but rather than four wheels, there was just one round cylinder/tube like device in the center. So she's rocking back and forth and she's handed a long dowel rod like looking stick--about 4 feet long. On the stick are three round ball type objects being balanced. She tilts her head back and puts the stick in her mouth, balancing the dowel rod and its round objects with her teeth. She is handed a hula hoop, which is introduced into the act by one at a time slipping it under her feet--while balancing on the pseudo skateboard thing. She gets the hula hoop going and then she is handed 4 rings which she gets going--2 on each arm. I couldn't even get the hula hoop going while flat footed if my life depended on it.

At one point while watching the latest mind boggling event I whispered....oh my goodness. I must have been saying that a lot because Kate elbowed me and said, "stop saying that".

As amazing as it was I wondered if the acrobats enjoyed their lives. If they were treated humanly and trained in a safe environment. If they ever got to see their families. If they were the sole support for the their families. If our applause was enough reward for the hours of practice that went into preparing for the show.

I love any chance I get to spend with Kate. I love it when the event is something she enjoys so immensely. It was a good day.

We couldn't take pics during the event. The following link should take you to a you tube clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QnEfUv7Ulg&feature=player_embedded

If it doesn't go there a search under, Golden Draon Acrobats - 6min feature promo, on you tube should take you to a video clip.



4 comments:

  1. Hi Marti,
    Aunt Janice gave me your blog site! I love it, we think a lot a like. I enjoyed reading so much. I am all caught up and look forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kristin!

    What a compliment! I love your blog also and have often thought we see some of the same types of things in an event that make a story interesting :-)

    Congrats on the new baby and I hope all the upcoming changes go smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you guys had fun together. What a great outing!!! In those pictures I think Kate is looking a little bit more like Colby... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny,

    Yep. It was fun. And yes, Katlyn's look is changing. She's going to be 7 in November. Yikes! How the heck did that happen? :-)

    ReplyDelete