Friday, January 27, 2012

Hmmm....I wonder when they came up with that?

I'm still doing the juicing vegetable thing. When I open my refrigerator I see the vegetables in it and wonder if someone else has moved into my house that I do not know about. I must admit, I get a little rush when I go to the grocery store and actually pick things out of the vegetable area. One time a year or so ago I bought a couple peppers to put in a sauce to marinate some meat for chicken kabobs. Other than that I can't remember ever buying a vegetable in my life. (Other than carrots, corn and potatoes which are more of a starch than a vegetable.)

I've always wanted to be the person in the grocery store with vegetables in her cart. When I walk in the veggie section I feel like I need to tell the other shoppers, "I'm somewhat of a fraud. I'm going to juice these, add some apple and ginger and then DRINK these. I'm not as healthy as it appears." I don't, but feel like I should.

So I get all of my vegetables, which are organic. That doesn't really matter except for you need that piece of information for the rest of the story. I'm looking at my cart, and thinking happy thoughts. I'm not sure if anyone else does this, but I always wonder if other shoppers (and cashiers!) are looking at what I'm buying and thinking....now that is the biggest cart of junk food I've ever seen. I go to the check out and still feel like con artist because I don't even know the name of some of the items I'm pulling out of my cart.

The cashier gets to the beets and is looking all over for the sticker with the number to tell her how to ring it up. She looks up and says, chuckling under her breath, "I don't know if these are regular beets or organic. Hmmmm.....they are organic. Well, what do you know. When did they start making beets organic?" Her tone of voice implied, "Those crazy farmers. What will they come up with next?"

I didn't know what to say.

It reminded me of the time I was knitting what would be a sweater when all the pieces were done and put together and someone looked at it in semi-amazement and said, "A sweater? You can make those?" (Still thinking) "You mean like what you get in Wal-Mart in the clothes section?" Ummmmm......yeah. I guess she thought that sweaters grow on a sweater bush, and Wal-Mart harvests them when ripe and takes them to their stores to sell.

I suppose there are times when I casually listen to the radio and take for granted that the songs coming out of it didn't arrive fully formed. They were written and performed by a human who studied music. That being said, if you show me a saxophone my reaction wouldn't be, "What? You can play a song? Like what you hear on the radio?"

I'm still having fun conjuring up images of farmers sitting around scratching their heads thinking, "Now what haven't we made organic yet.....ah, yes. Beets."

2 comments:

  1. As I'm reading this post, my girls are watching a Barbie movie. One of the characters made her own dress and when another character sees the dress she said, "You mean people make clothes?!" Or the time in high school when a girl actually said that farmers shouldn't be paid money to make food b/c people could just go to the grocery store to buy it instead. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly, Angie. How do people not know where food and clothes come from! :-)

    ReplyDelete