Wednesday, January 11, 2012

How'd they get there?

I can't take any credit for this first pic. A friend of mine, Andy Kerr, noticed it,
tweeted about it, took the pic, etc. I drove by it and saw it, but can't really take credit for it. As soon as I saw it I thought it would be great to add to my pic coming later.



A house in Winona Lake was recently torn down and all that remained is the fireplace, upon which someone hung a single stocking.

As I was driving home a few weeks before Christmas there is some farm land (the farm with the fuzzy cows, for those of you who are local) that stretches out as far as the eye can see. Along the side of the road is something that isn't quite tall enough to be a patch of trees, and not short enough to be a patch of bushes. In the winter without the benefit of leaves it is just spindly, woody, stick like clumps of ugly. I noticed that someone had decorated the clumps with about 30 Christmas ornaments. I go past this part of the drive at 55MPH so the first time I saw it, not knowing to look for it, I just wondered if I saw what I thought I saw. The next day I paid a little more attention and sure enough. Out in the middle of no where someone had taken the time to hang Christmas ornaments on this little patch of scrub.

This is on a stretch of 15 where the cars go by pretty fast. There is very little shoulder. I occasionally do see people walking on it, but it is a couple miles from "town" and several miles until you hit anything else resembling a town. I cannot think of any reason (although I'm sure there could be a few) that anyone would non-nonchalantly walking down the road, look down in their bag and realize, "Oh yeah, I've got some ornaments. Maybe I should make this stretch of 15 look Christmasy". I suppose it could have been some sort of youth group event where teams had to go out and do crazy stunts and capture it on camera. It is not an area I'd risk life and limb to hang some ornaments.

I pulled over a couple days ago with the idea that I would get out and take a few pictures. As soon as I pulled over I realized it was a dumb idea. The shoulder wasn't wide enough for me to safely pull over and get out of the way of other cars. There was no way I was leaving my car once I felt the car shudder when the first car hurtled past it. There were a few areas I could have pulled up to, or turned around and parked on the other side of the road but I decided I would take one quick snap through the window and hope for a good one.

The ornaments turned out fine, but you really don't really get the perspective of just how there is nothing around here. Whoever did it made a point of it.
I suppose I'll have to be content to just wonder how they got there.

No comments:

Post a Comment