Thursday, January 5, 2012

Zipper follies.

The other day at work I had to go to the bathroom. I work in a building with around 14/15 people if EVERYONE was there at the same time. We are well served by two bathrooms, one for men and one for women. I am the only person whose desk is situated in such a way that I can clearly see if anyone heads into one of the bathrooms. If I need to use the bathroom and I see someone heading towards it, if I REALLY needed to, I could run from my desk, beat them to the door and mutter, "sorry" under my breath.

I don't. But I could if needed. I say all that to set up the rest of the story. I normally do not need to plan any extra time when heading to the bathroom. I've sat in the same spot for 14 years. I know the routine. Until the other day. As usual I had complete access to the bathroom. Plenty of time. Except...........there was a tag on my jeans that was really close to the zipper and I didn't realize it, but had completely zipped the tag into the zipper. Not a little frayed edge that can be easily tugged out. Zipped right into the middle of the zipper. I pulled and tugged and pulled some more. It didn't budge. I'm sure it was psychological, but all of the sudden I had to go right then. Suddenly, I had used up all of the buffer time. It the midst of my struggle I paused long enough to think, "Great. I am an able bodied adult who is going to have an accident at work because I am stuck in my clothes."

I had to leave the bathroom. Go to my desk. Grab a pair of scissors. Hope no one would ask why I had to leave the bathroom, and get scissors. Rush back to the bathroom. Hack away at the zipped up tag. In the end I got the tag unstuck. Crisis averted. Phew.

After it was over I mused about the absurdity of the situation. I've been traveling wondering if I'd make it because once you need a bathroom there is never an exit indicating a bathroom. I've been in lines wondering if I'd make it because the line was too long. I've been in a store where no matter how much wandering you do you can't find the bathroom. I've stopped at gas stations only to find there is no public restroom. I've gotten to the bathroom only to find it is being cleaned and can't be used. BUT! I've never been in a working bathroom, right next to the facilities and wondered if I wouldn't make it because my zipper wasn't working. When is the last time you truly felt stuck in your clothes? It is a panicky kind of feeling!

3 comments:

  1. Ahh...self deprecating humor, the kind that makes me laugh the hardest! Your story reminded me of the time I went shopping with my sister in law for a mother of the bride dress. I had encouraged her to try on a certain dress. She got it over her head and bust but then couldn't get it any lower much less take it off! We were feeling a little panicked and started laughing so hard that both of us could have used a bathroom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon, that is so funny! I guess there is more than one way to get stuck in your clothes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your story made me laugh out loud. I'm glad you eventually had success with the zipper! :-)

    ReplyDelete